Thursday, December 1, 2011

Faux apartment doors


I’m back and totally ready for action! You know why? Because I just bought this baby!

Oh yeah, I bought a new camera and I’m LOVING IT! I never really liked how my old point & shoot took photos. It always looked so….yellow.  But I’m sure this one will take cleaner & crisper pictures (hopefully, but bare with me while I learn how to use it.)

Anywho.. I have some things to share.

1. I made some apartment doors. 
I was reading this awesome DIY magazine, and this lady made her basement bathroom door look like an apartment door. It was such a great idea...I just had to do it. I went to Lowes, picked a cute sunny shade of yellow and picked up some great modern silver address numbers. I chose 16, it’s my favorite number.
I went home, painted and installed the numbers. It looked SO COOL.

But in my mind, I felt like I wasn’t really finished, because now the corner of the room was bare white. So, I painted my bedroom and closet door the same color.

I took a few steps back…and was like “CRAP…this is way to much yellow!” I had to think of a way to balance that out. So I sat there and stared at the corner of the room.  

Stripes.

Stripes popped into my head. And what color goes best with yellow? If you guessed gray, you’re obviously a color expert ;)



(See that white stripe going down the yellow door? I'm trying to tone down the brightness. I also added a 14 to my bedroom door.)


So this is how it turned out, and I LOVE IT. I decided to take down the shelves that used to be above the chair. I replaced it with a canvas, but wasn't really sure what to put on it. So of course...I drew a heart. Don't judge me. I used the gold color I used for my dining room wall stencil. See how I'm trying to tie everything together? I also wanted to throw some pink in the mix, so I framed some of my black & white photography and hung them up.



All in all, I have to say I'm GLAD my patterns aren't clashing. They actually look pretty cool together. 
I love my artsy apartment :)

No comments: